Who are we?
We are the Trade Association and Peak Body for the Snowsports Equipment Industry in Australia. Our members are wholesalers, importers, manufacturers, retailers, rental businesses, other trade buyers and the media.
What do we do?
The main objective of the Association is the promotion of Snowsports in all aspects, to represent its Members and to provide for their needs in the industry.
State and Federal Governments recognise SIA as the peak body for the Australian Snowsports industry.
In the past, we have been successful is establishing standards for sunglasses and ski goggles (now superseded) with the Standards Association of Australia, with the Dept of Industry, Technology & Commerce in defining ski/snowboard wear, as opposed to street wear, for correct tariff classification and for the commercial marking of ski boots. We worked with the Textile Clothing & Footwear Development Authority concerning the classification of snowboard boots.
In addition, we:
- Organise the annual Snow Sports Trade Show in October each year, at our long term venue Exhibition Park in Canberra.
- Organise annual On-Snow Tests, usually in September, for Trade Buyers to experience using and test the skis and snowboards imported by our members.
- Have been joint organisers of the Australian Snowsports Whole of Industry Conference over a period of years.
- Commission surveys to establish:
- how much Snow Sports hardware is sold in Australia each year.
- how many Australians participate in Snowsports, where they participate, for how long each year and on what type of equipment.
- Are financial partners in the commissioning of the Study ‘The Economic Significance of the Alpine Resorts’ carried out in 2011 – the most comprehensive study on the snow sports industry published.
- Organise benefits for our members, which include:
- Free entry to the SIA USA Trade Show in Denver, Colorado (saving US$40) and access to the International Lounge at that Show. Promotion of the US Show in our Trade Show Directory.
- Free ISPO Card, giving members free access to the ISPO Trade Shows (saving €77), particularly in Munich. Promotion of the Munich ISPO in our Trade Show Directory.
- Free Access to seminars organised by the Australian Sporting Goods Association (ASGA) of which we are a member.(saving typically $200)
- Support Snow Australia:
- SIA has committed $20,000 per year over a period of three years to the Snow Australia project. These funds are to be used specifically for PR purposes.
- SIA Board members donated ~$15,000 value in prizes as part of Snow Australia’s promotional campaign.
- Liaise with ASGA on:
- Internet competition
- Productivity Commission issues
- Counterfeit Goods monitoring
- Assist members with legal and regulatory matters, such as the recent Personal Property Securities Register (eg a generic set of Terms of Trade, explanatory notes and flow charts, along with explanatory briefings for members).
- Take part in relevant seminars and conferences.
- Have supported Australian skiing by assisting Winter Olympics, World Cup, Junior and disabled skiers. We have also contributed funds to other bodies to assist with various promotions of snow sports and safety.